Student Reassignments (Transfers) and District Release
Requests for reassignments (transfers) will not be considered after midnight on June 1, 2022.
Student transfer requests are now considered student reassignment requests. Reassignment applications are submitted online using the following link: ECPPS Student Reassignment (Transfer) Application 2022-2023.
District Release applications for the 2022-2023 school year are now available and must be completed online via our ECPPS Family Dashboard: ECPPS District Release.
The official request period for Elizabeth City Pasquotank Public School System students seeking a school reassignment (transfer) for the 2022-23 school year ends on June 1st. Reassignment requests will not be considered after June 1st.
Reassignment (transfer) requests are considered according to reasons as stipulated in ECPPS Policy Code: 4150 School of Assignment
Important Guidelines Regarding Reassignments
All students are expected to attend the school designated by the Board of Education to serve their legal residence. Exceptions will only be considered for the following reasons outlined:
- Medical — A medical doctor’s and/or a licensed psychologist’s statement that the requested transfer is essential to the continued health and well-being of the student. The statement will be considered only if it contains the specific diagnosis of the current condition which is the grounds for the request, and an explanation of how attendance at the requested school will facilitate treatment of or improve the student’s condition compared with the original assignment.
- Unique educational needs — Statements establishing a compelling educational reason for the student to enroll in a program not offered in the school of assignment. Educational requests will only be considered for students in grades 9-12. The curriculum offered for students in grades K-8 will be consistent at all schools. Requests for educational reasons will be handled on a case-by-case basis and will be granted only in rare instances. Documented proof of the need for transfer must be provided and must show that the transfer is needed in order for the student to complete his/her course of study or that the student’s ability to complete graduation requirements is in jeopardy.
- Employee of ECPPS — Full-time employees will be allowed to request that their child attend school at their school of assignment or the nearest school which contains the grade level of that student. Full-time employees that do not live in Pasquotank County may request that their child attend school in Pasquotank County. Approval will be granted based upon student enrollment.
- Change of address during the school year — Children who move during the course of the school year will be allowed to remain at the original school of assignment for the remainder of the school year if there is not overcrowding in the classroom. Parents must also agree to provide transportation and ensure that their child meets attendance and behavior requirements.
- Family hardship — Documented evidence of extreme and unusual hardship which will affect the student’s achievement and/or behavior. Note: Requests for transfer based upon before- or after-school care will generally not be honored.
- Other — Such other substantial and bona fide circumstances not covered which are considered by the Board as compelling and meritorious. Sworn documentation is required.
Kindergarten students, and students new to ECPPS, should register at the school assigned to their home address. If permission to transfer is granted, the records will be forwarded to the out-of-district school.
Tuition is charged for students that do not reside in Pasquotank County (employees are exempt).
Those who submit transfer requests will be notified by mail if your request is approved or denied. If eligible, the mailing will include information about how to schedule an appeal to the Board of Education.
Transfer decisions are based upon the best interest of the child, the orderly and efficient administration of the public schools, the proper administration of the school to which assignment is requested, and the instruction, health, and safety of the pupils enrolled.
Students should enroll at the school assigned to their home address until the request can be acted upon by the Board of Education.